Saturday, April 24, 2010

Second Running Class

Owww!! My legs are aching. It is two hours after finishing my second running class. We did not jog much today. What I do is jog. We ran, on our toes, for short distances, fast, on a high school track.

I have to admit I get an ill feeling when I step out onto a high school track to run. Before I even begin running, I picture and feel myself back in junior high high, huffing and puffing after running as fast as I could, which is much slower than my cohorts.

We started out the class with some plyometrics. Plyometrics are explosive exercises that warm up your fast-twitich muscles; high knees, lunges, butt-kickers, figure eights, ballet-like jumping jacks. We did all of these exercises for 50 meters out, rested, and 50 meters back. As for the lunges, no one could do those for longer than 25 meters. I thought the plyometrics were fun and quickly warmed us up.

Then we moved to 100 meter and 200 meter strides. We did 4x100 meter strides, picking up speed for the first 30 meters, running at 80% intensity for the middle 40 meters, and running as fast as we could muster for the last 30 meters. Jessica told us to focus on form-run on your toes, look ahead, keep your arms at 90-degree angle and hold you hands loosely with thumbs pointed up.

The 200 meter strides were very challenging. We did 4-200 meter strides with 200 meters to rest between.

No comments:

Post a Comment