Saturday, April 10, 2010

Thinking Positively

When my husband, Paul, read "Signed Up" yesterday he told me I would never look forward to races. But, I'm not looking to place in the top finishers in any race, which is usually his goal. That's a lot of performance pressure and I'm not an elite athlete. I just want to get better, run 10-minute miles and feel good about the work I've done to prepare for a race.

Doing this running class fits into my new approach to life, thinking positively. For example, I recently found out that I am allergic to my much-loved cats along with a bunch of other allergens. I've decided to focus instead on how much positive energy and happiness my cats bring me rather than the dander that falls from their bodies and causes my sinuses to swell.

I'm getting allergen injections to desensitize my body, its called immune therapy. The goal is to get my body to stop attacking itself against harmless pollen, dander and mold spores. This morning I was at the allergy clinic office, waiting to get my injections. The nurse came out to the waiting room and told me that I was a day to early and that I couldn't get the injections today. (I later checked my calendar at home and found out I was in fact on time for the shots). Instead of focusing on the time I had wasted coming to the allergy office (what my old self would think) I decided to instead treat myself to some new make-up and hair do-dads at Target since I was already dressed and driving about the town (what my new self thought).

Back to running...Yesterday I stepped out my door in my running gear and started jogging. I haven't done this for a long time. Usually, I drive to Heritage Trail for flat scenic terrain or to the Mines of Spain State Recreation Area for hilly scenic terrain. Back to my allergies...I have had so much sinus swelling and pain from tree pollen (its officially the highest concentration in 10 years this season), that I decided it was just better to run about the neighborhood than driving to where the tree pollen is likely more plentiful. Back to thinking positively...it's a freeing feeling to be able to step out your front door and run. It doesn't cost anything, there's no commute time, and there's no waiting in line for a treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment